Pages

Wednesday 6 February 2013

Sun-drenched In Winter Rain



I am sitting outside in the severe cold, in the shade of the porch while the rain beats down heavily around me. The winter rain has left everything looking gloomy and the sky is a dirty blue. The sound of the rain varies as it falls; sometimes falling in lights drizzles and the next minute it's pelting down heavy with utmost noise and clamour. The cup of tea besides me_only been consumed half_ has gone cold and the music ringing through my ear-phones faintly is lost somewhere among the sound of the rain. The only sound is that of rain, distinct and clear, and the occasional thunder when the clouds strike. Like the sound and velocity of the rain, the scene varies; switching between  bleakness and streaks of sunlight. The cool breeze wafts the rain towards me and it dampens my feet and my face as I lean towards it. The rain diverts its direction and the naked wind strikes my face, stinging. I don't move.

My face is numb and I can't feel my body. Thoughts run through my head, unstoppable but my mind's too occupied by the rain; they run like the background noise, trying to lure me towards them but I pay them no heed. They still flip constantly, though, one after the other and never skipping a beat.

My eyes are closed, my mind numb; the sound and smell of rain over-taking me. It's utter chaos yet there's a calmness that can never escape. It's the war of peace. I hug myself, trying fruitlessly to protect myself agaist the wind whipping around me, I could easily walk five steps, go inside, make a fresh cup of tea and sit besides the heater. But I don't... I won't. Realisation strikes when it rains, and getting me inside while it beats down is impossible. I pluck out my ear phone, stuffing them in my pocket. I suppose nothing can chill me further now and with that thought I step out in the open, out in the rain. I look down at the water flooding and clashing around my feet and then upwards as the sun breaks through the clouds, strokes of it coloring everything around. The rain descends still, not bothered by any hinderence and so I stand as rain drenches me. I stand there, paused till the last drop hits my face.

-Momina.

22 comments:

  1. Rain does take us close to ourselves !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually did this once and it was quite an amazing feeling. I was at work and the rain was really coming down outside and I just went out in to it, and stood there in it. I think I was out there for a while too and when I finally came back in my boss had to dry me off with a towel. It is an amazing experience, and I encourage people to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do it very often! :P Rain is exquisite! It is, no doubt, an amazing experience.

      Delete
  3. Rain is a strange thing. Sometimes it can depress us and sometimes it has the power to bring back all the happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain is delightful! It can be sad, but the good kinda sad.

      Delete
  4. "The war of peace"...wonderful expressions.
    Reminds me of all the times I've spent in the rain feeling all these emotions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. War of piece - that;s outstanding, and most beautiful three words i have read. rain does leave you in such states.. Reminds me of time when I used to storm out during such heavy rains, to seek peace that rains bring those chaos. I miss that feeling, you see, it hasn't been raining here lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, dreamy Gal!
      Well, then I hope rain comes soon! :)

      Delete
  6. Wow! Your imageries are magnificent. Each post of yours leaves me spellbound!

    I love rains! There's absolutely nothing that makes me happier than getting drenched in the rain. But yes, winter rains? I'm not allowed to go out, so....:|


    "My eyes are closed, my mind numb; the sound and smell of rain over-taking me. It's utter chaos yet there's a calmness that can never escape." Beautiful lines:) Just as I feel looking out the window on a rainy day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ruya. I am honestly flattered that you feel that way!
      I am not allowed to go in winter raim either, but every so often I sneak into it! :P

      Thank you!:)

      Delete
  7. Let rain heal you.
    It will cleanse your mind, I do the same!
    Your every word like always is a perfect description of scenario.
    I felt it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ph!
      It's one of our many similarities, rain!:)

      Delete
  8. Hey just dropped in to say that I tagged you, and have awarded you . Hope to read the answers soon :)

    http://adreamygal.blogspot.in/2013/02/dreamy-time.html

    Sorry, can't help it. that's the rule. I got to post in my link, and inform you :P Hope you wont kill me for that! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, for the tag. I'll chek it out ASAP.

      Wouldn't kill one my readers, ever! :D

      Delete
  9. wow...loved the way you described the feeling of rain..:)
    keep writing..:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely beautiful .. it was like reading memory of you own .. have done the same many times :)

    rain is .... love !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Aliadnan!
      Rain is absolute love, indeed.
      Hope you'll come back for a second visit and share your views! :)

      Delete