Pages

Friday 31 May 2013

Your Insistence Is Adorable.



Everything in the vastness of space is in a state of perpetual motion. Every tiny speck and every gigantic object that exists because several such tiny specks came together... everything, is moving. Shaking. Hovering. Vibrating. From the tiniest electron revolving around the nucleus of an atom to a huge star in a galaxy eons away. It is all moving, gently and crazily. Silently. And I am sitting here, still; suspended in all that motion. Waiting to be lifted. Waiting to be moved or removed by an unseen force. I am the glitch in the system, the nut that refuses to rotate while the rest spin in wild, silly circles. I am right in the center of a moving world, stationary. Useless.

I can see you, sense you, reading me, following me around. Trying hard to decipher me and my struggle. Putting such great effort in thinking about my past and my future. And I don’t even know about my present. I see you trying to visualize my story, trying to adapt it, picture yourself in it.

“What happens? What happened?” I hear you ask yourself, incredulously, as you turn another page to my story, as you see me running from the horrors of an unexplained monster. Running in vain. I see you crease your forehead, run your tongue over your dried lips, change your drooping posture, so that you won’t get tired. So that you’ll be able to read a little more without interruption. Your insistence is adorable.

You are tired. You didn't sleep all night, you were so engrossed in reading me, thinking about my story and tweaking your perspective as you moved further, word by word. I was there with you, without you realizing. I was watching you enthralled by a story that wasn't even your own. So I asked myself why you did that? Why did you hurt yourself over someone else’s tale? Cry over another’s pain, laugh at someone else’s joy? Why do you sit here, your eyes following me, your mind wrapped about me, when your own story remains abandoned, unwritten?

I've chosen to be the glitch. To stop, to drag on so that you’d become agitated. So that you’d put me you aside for a moment and look around and see what your own world has come to. The ignorance of your own reality so that you can indulge in mine is flattering. But I realize I've been doing the same. Trying to indulge in your story, figure you out while you try to decode mine. I've been trying to stop you from interpreting me, all the while looking forward to your reactions when you finally unveil my end. All the while we've been simultaneously reading one another, embracing tales not our own. We are linked this way, you see.

So, when I see you handling me with such care, adoring the curve of each word, cherishing the way every scene of my story falls into the other, melding beautifully and unlocking a mystery, I melt. I see your eyes shining at my happiness, you cheeks wet at my sorrow, I never realized I became so much to you. And I never grasped how focused a part you became of mine. After all, without you I am just a dying script, drying ink that will eventually fade to nothing. But you never let that happen. You've treasured me, spending so much time with me and thoughts about me when I wasn't even there with you. You became the lips that spoke my story, the syllables were written but you sought people and shared them. And I have come to realize now that I fell in love with you every time you opened my story, over and over again just to share my repetitive joys and tears one more time. And each time when you held me carefully before giving the story to a friend and whispering a loving, ‘Take care of it’.

And I have fallen for you each time I heard your sigh of relief when you once again held me in your hands.

-Momina.

*This piece has been written keeping this in mind: 

29 comments:

  1. I think you did a fantastic job keeping such a prompt in mind. To be honest I didn't think it could really be done. I think that is one of the ways love works in real life. You try to read someone's past and their present and know their future. Everything you know about them makes you love them more. At the same time, they are doing the same to you. When two people are trying to read eachother, and understand eachohter, love can truly come into the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mark. I believe too, that we are all stories and we tend to read one another and there are a few that you ca actually feel. You are very right.

      Delete
  2. haven't read anything so perfect ever before..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monaaaa :o This is so frigging good, woman! I loved it to bits!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dods! I am glad you loved it! :D

      Delete
  4. When I saw this picture in the end, I had nothing but admiration for what you have written here. Really great thought presented in really good words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Irfan! I am glad you liked it this much, I am flattered.

      Delete
  5. I love this! You're so talented MA!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the source of inspiration. And this gave me goosebumps: "From the tiniest electron revolving around the nucleus of an atom to a huge star in a galaxy eons away. It is all moving, gently and crazily."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I CANT EVEN WITH THE AMAZINGNESS THAT IS THIS PIECE OF WRITING!! :')

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great piece. I'd like to add, falling in love with beauty, the usual bitter sweet is common, I'd fall in hate with the hatred you create, eventually it'd be a love, may be. But then, I'd be moved to hate the pen. I'd always wished to create a character, a poem, a rapture any thing for which people would hate me, my thoughts, my imaginations and my very own self. There, at that moment, I believe, I'd win as a writer if I make you detest me.
    Anyhow, this is surely a beautiful read. Even though with out the prompt, it makes so much sense.
    Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Hira.
      You have presented before me a challenge that I am very willing to take! Thank you!

      Delete
  9. I don't know how you did this ... I have no idea, but it is just a masterpiece ... no not a masterpiece, that would be too small a word for this brilliance ... this piece lies way beyond the horizon, surely ranking at the very top among the blog posts I have come across in my lifetime ... enigmatic ... simply magical !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am completely overwhelmed! Coming from such a wonderful writer as you it means a lot! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  10. An eyeopener, a wonderful experience I would term it. An amazingly written post, compelled me and all the readers here to introspect & then move forward. I agree with what Green Speck said :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is amazingly written dear and yes you made me fall in love with your writing all over again <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Next time I hold a book in my hands, I will smile, knowing it reads me too. You just struck down the age old belief about reading being a solitary, isolated occupation. Love how your mind works :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I have managed to done that, for you or for other than I have hit home. Thank you so much, I hope every book is a new experience for you, now. :)

      Delete
  13. You've changed a lot of books for me.
    It is endearing and heartening...and occasionally,possibly flattering to know that Darcy could fall in love with me...Literaturely of course.
    :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is heartening to know!
      Hahah, it is indeed flattering that we'd have Darcy all to ourselves, literally speaking of course. :P

      Delete
  14. You have such capacity to write so well. This work is great. Its true haven't read anything better than this. Amazing work and close to reality. TOUCHED! *appreciated*.

    ReplyDelete
  15. JHGDSIREIWTJIivineIRAXKZZFDSO!

    THIS IS SO AMAZING! :')

    ReplyDelete